Saturday, September 26, 2009

Large Rise in Prenuptial Agreements

The solicitors group, Resolution, is reporting a tenfold increase in the number of prenuptial agreements being drawn up in the UK. However, prenuptial agreements are currently only enforceable in Scotland but not in England and Wales though the courts will take them into account when deciding on divorce settlements.

However, this may all change soon as the Law Commission has said that they will be consulting on their use in England and Wales and The Conservative party have made it known that they would like them to become legally binding as the are in many other countries in Europe.

With the 45% of marriages now ending in divorce, is a prenuptial agreement on your agenda?

1 comment:

Holly Beckwith said...

I earn a lot more than my husband and I will be sure to be getting a pre nup. My Mum was stung when my Dad cleared out the bank account when they split up so she also advised me to make sure that I always have a bank account of my own that nobody knows about as well.